Skip to main content

11-29 Coconut "Curry"

This "curry" doesn't even have curry powder in it. Turns out curry is a term from the Indian word 'kari' meaning sauce. So you may like some "curries" more than you'd think. This one, I am confident, you will!
This is a basic recipe, if you like it, add more or different vegetables next time.

Prepare a 1 lb of Chinese egg or stir fry noodles or any other long Asian noodle
(Soba noodles work well and taste even better if cooked in chicken broth)
Prepare 2-3 hard boiled eggs - use half an egg for each serving.

Mix together:
1 1/2 T soy sauce
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T fresh (or 2 t dry) ginger, minced
1 t turmeric
Toss with
1 lb chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes (you can use cooked chicken, no need to sauté)
Sauté in skillet the uncooked chicken until no longer pink, remove and set aside.

Sauté in same pan:
sesame oil
1 small onion, chopped
Stir in
1 t paprika
Now add the chicken and
20 oz of unsweetened coconut milk
2 1/2 c chicken broth
Simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Add:
1/2 - 1 c fresh peas, thawed if frozen
Thicken soup by removing a ladle full and mix with
1/4 c flour
Return resulting paste to soup and mix through.

Serve soup over individual bowls of cooked noodles with 1/2 of a sliced hard boiled egg and sprinkle with cilantro, sliced green onions and a squirt of lime juice.

Comments

  1. yum!
    nick loves this version of curry...the boiled egg and fresh cilantro and noodles give it some good variety from the curries we usually do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mexetti Squash

So I wanted to use the spaghetti squash but I wasn't in the mood for the usual Italian meatball pseudo-spaghetti. I also wanted something just as quick and easy so I browsed around on the internet and got an idea to use Mexican flavors. Here is what I served everyone tonight so we can remember it. There are no real measurements since every squash is a different size. Cut a spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. In a microwaveable dish, place one half skin side down so it can be filled with: cooked, cut up chicken diced Hatch chiles zucchini, chopped finely red bell pepper, chopped finely onion, chopped finely OR onion powder sprinkled on top Sprinkle it all with a little salt, pepper and cumin and shredded Jack, Manchego or other cheese Pour some enchilada sauce over it all. Add some heat with salsa, chile powder or whatever you like or not. Cover and cook- I microwaved a large half for about 15 minutes The smaller half only took 10 minutes. I served i...

Rainy day Farro with chicken

     This tasted really good on this cold and rainy March evening.  I still had Farro (an Italian wheat cousin with more nutrition than brown rice) in the cupboard so I searched around for farro recipes and came up with this version. Your dad wants to eat it again (and me, too) so here it goes down on record.  I didn't really measure the ingredients so I will do my best to come up with good estimates. Sprinkle generously 1/2 - 1lb cooked chicken in large chunks (off a rotisserie chicken works well) with oregano, salt and pepper and drizzle about 1 Tb apple cider vinegar & ! Tb canola oil  over it & set aside. I think warming it a bit will help the flavor soak in the chicken but it isn't necessary. Sauté 1 large colored bell pepper, thinly sliced 1 med onion, chopped 4-5 cloves garlic, minced until glossy and softened Add in 1 1/2 c uncooked Farro, rinsed 2 1/2 c chicken broth 1/2 t cumin powder 1/4 c sun dried tomatoes in olive oi...

Tuna bean salad

Mix together: 1/3 c olive oil 3 T red wine vinegar Freshly & finely chopped chives or 1/4 t onion powder  Salt and pepper to taste Set aside. Combine:  6 oz tuna packed without liquid (if packed in oil, add less oil; if packed in water, drain) 1 can/15 oz cannellini beans, drained & rinsed 1 T capers 3/4 c cherry tomatoes, halved 1/2 T freshly chopped basil Pour dressing over and gently combine. Serve alone,  as a salad on a bead of spinach or open face sandwich on a crusty bread -both need an extra drizzle of olive oil.