Skip to main content

11-02 Butternut stew

This makes a lot of soup so you may want to halve the recipe or invite some roommates to dinner.

Start with:
1 butternut squash, med size
Slice in half, remove seeds and bake squash in the microwave for 8- 10 minutes so it is soft enough to peel and cut into cubes, but does not have to be fully cooked.

Sauté in soup pot or dutch oven:
olive oil
onion, chopped or thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped or minced
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced (opt)
Stir and allow to soften. Then add:
butternut squash, peeled, cubed and partially cooked (about 4 c)
1 14 oz can tomatoes, whole or diced
2 c water
1 can Cannellini beans, drained
2 T tomato paste
1 t rosemary, dry or 1 T fresh
Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes. Check if squash is tender enough.
If you want a smooth soup, use immersion blender now. If not, just top with:
1 T fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

For a more hearty soup, add cooked chicken or sauté the veg with pancetta or bacon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mexetti Squash

So I wanted to use the spaghetti squash but I wasn't in the mood for the usual Italian meatball pseudo-spaghetti. I also wanted something just as quick and easy so I browsed around on the internet and got an idea to use Mexican flavors. Here is what I served everyone tonight so we can remember it. There are no real measurements since every squash is a different size. Cut a spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. In a microwaveable dish, place one half skin side down so it can be filled with: cooked, cut up chicken diced Hatch chiles zucchini, chopped finely red bell pepper, chopped finely onion, chopped finely OR onion powder sprinkled on top Sprinkle it all with a little salt, pepper and cumin and shredded Jack, Manchego or other cheese Pour some enchilada sauce over it all. Add some heat with salsa, chile powder or whatever you like or not. Cover and cook- I microwaved a large half for about 15 minutes The smaller half only took 10 minutes. I served i...

Rainy day Farro with chicken

     This tasted really good on this cold and rainy March evening.  I still had Farro (an Italian wheat cousin with more nutrition than brown rice) in the cupboard so I searched around for farro recipes and came up with this version. Your dad wants to eat it again (and me, too) so here it goes down on record.  I didn't really measure the ingredients so I will do my best to come up with good estimates. Sprinkle generously 1/2 - 1lb cooked chicken in large chunks (off a rotisserie chicken works well) with oregano, salt and pepper and drizzle about 1 Tb apple cider vinegar & ! Tb canola oil  over it & set aside. I think warming it a bit will help the flavor soak in the chicken but it isn't necessary. Sauté 1 large colored bell pepper, thinly sliced 1 med onion, chopped 4-5 cloves garlic, minced until glossy and softened Add in 1 1/2 c uncooked Farro, rinsed 2 1/2 c chicken broth 1/2 t cumin powder 1/4 c sun dried tomatoes in olive oi...

Tuna bean salad

Mix together: 1/3 c olive oil 3 T red wine vinegar Freshly & finely chopped chives or 1/4 t onion powder  Salt and pepper to taste Set aside. Combine:  6 oz tuna packed without liquid (if packed in oil, add less oil; if packed in water, drain) 1 can/15 oz cannellini beans, drained & rinsed 1 T capers 3/4 c cherry tomatoes, halved 1/2 T freshly chopped basil Pour dressing over and gently combine. Serve alone,  as a salad on a bead of spinach or open face sandwich on a crusty bread -both need an extra drizzle of olive oil.