Skip to main content

04-07 Nachos Rapidos

Layer layer layer!
On a small plate layer
your chips- Costco has some good whole grain at the moment
red kidney or black or pinto beans
and/or
shredded cooked chicken
grated cheese
Place in microwave for 45 seconds or so
When cheese is melted, layer with
chopped tomatoes
chunky mango salsa or pico de gallo
avocado or guacamole
chopped lettuce
torn cilantro
sliced black olives
squish a half a lime on top
Enjoy with your favorite TV show or movie and forget about finals for a while.
Maybe a bit of sour cream if it tastes dry to you.
FYI-the first "Nachos" were made in 1943 in Piedras Negras, Mexico just over the border from Texas. Tortillas were cut into triangles, sprinkled with longhorn cheddar and jalapeños and warmed. That scary, oozy cheese didn't appear until 1977.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mexetti Squash

So I wanted to use the spaghetti squash but I wasn't in the mood for the usual Italian meatball pseudo-spaghetti. I also wanted something just as quick and easy so I browsed around on the internet and got an idea to use Mexican flavors. Here is what I served everyone tonight so we can remember it. There are no real measurements since every squash is a different size. Cut a spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. In a microwaveable dish, place one half skin side down so it can be filled with: cooked, cut up chicken diced Hatch chiles zucchini, chopped finely red bell pepper, chopped finely onion, chopped finely OR onion powder sprinkled on top Sprinkle it all with a little salt, pepper and cumin and shredded Jack, Manchego or other cheese Pour some enchilada sauce over it all. Add some heat with salsa, chile powder or whatever you like or not. Cover and cook- I microwaved a large half for about 15 minutes The smaller half only took 10 minutes. I served i...

Rainy day Farro with chicken

     This tasted really good on this cold and rainy March evening.  I still had Farro (an Italian wheat cousin with more nutrition than brown rice) in the cupboard so I searched around for farro recipes and came up with this version. Your dad wants to eat it again (and me, too) so here it goes down on record.  I didn't really measure the ingredients so I will do my best to come up with good estimates. Sprinkle generously 1/2 - 1lb cooked chicken in large chunks (off a rotisserie chicken works well) with oregano, salt and pepper and drizzle about 1 Tb apple cider vinegar & ! Tb canola oil  over it & set aside. I think warming it a bit will help the flavor soak in the chicken but it isn't necessary. Sauté 1 large colored bell pepper, thinly sliced 1 med onion, chopped 4-5 cloves garlic, minced until glossy and softened Add in 1 1/2 c uncooked Farro, rinsed 2 1/2 c chicken broth 1/2 t cumin powder 1/4 c sun dried tomatoes in olive oi...

Tuna bean salad

Mix together: 1/3 c olive oil 3 T red wine vinegar Freshly & finely chopped chives or 1/4 t onion powder  Salt and pepper to taste Set aside. Combine:  6 oz tuna packed without liquid (if packed in oil, add less oil; if packed in water, drain) 1 can/15 oz cannellini beans, drained & rinsed 1 T capers 3/4 c cherry tomatoes, halved 1/2 T freshly chopped basil Pour dressing over and gently combine. Serve alone,  as a salad on a bead of spinach or open face sandwich on a crusty bread -both need an extra drizzle of olive oil.