Skip to main content

10-28 Quick tomato soup

Sauté
1 T olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
a stalk of celery, chopped
When softened, add
1 leek, sliced thin (only use white parts until there is more green than white)
Stir a minute longer to allow to soften
Then add
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans (14 oz) tomatoes, whole or diced, undrained
1 T fresh thyme or 1 t dry thyme
Bring to a boil and allow to simmer 15-20 minutes
Remove from heat and blend with immersion blender to desired chunkiness.
Return to heat and add:
1/2 c milk or cream or Marscapone cheese
1 T balsamic vinegar
pepper to taste, maybe salt
When soup is warmed through, serve with a sprinkle of fresh basil on top and beside a toasted ham and cheese of course!

If you want more texture in your soup, add in sun dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
If you want the soup sweeter, add in some honey or agave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mexetti Squash

So I wanted to use the spaghetti squash but I wasn't in the mood for the usual Italian meatball pseudo-spaghetti. I also wanted something just as quick and easy so I browsed around on the internet and got an idea to use Mexican flavors. Here is what I served everyone tonight so we can remember it. There are no real measurements since every squash is a different size. Cut a spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. In a microwaveable dish, place one half skin side down so it can be filled with: cooked, cut up chicken diced Hatch chiles zucchini, chopped finely red bell pepper, chopped finely onion, chopped finely OR onion powder sprinkled on top Sprinkle it all with a little salt, pepper and cumin and shredded Jack, Manchego or other cheese Pour some enchilada sauce over it all. Add some heat with salsa, chile powder or whatever you like or not. Cover and cook- I microwaved a large half for about 15 minutes The smaller half only took 10 minutes. I served i...

Rainy day Farro with chicken

     This tasted really good on this cold and rainy March evening.  I still had Farro (an Italian wheat cousin with more nutrition than brown rice) in the cupboard so I searched around for farro recipes and came up with this version. Your dad wants to eat it again (and me, too) so here it goes down on record.  I didn't really measure the ingredients so I will do my best to come up with good estimates. Sprinkle generously 1/2 - 1lb cooked chicken in large chunks (off a rotisserie chicken works well) with oregano, salt and pepper and drizzle about 1 Tb apple cider vinegar & ! Tb canola oil  over it & set aside. I think warming it a bit will help the flavor soak in the chicken but it isn't necessary. Sauté 1 large colored bell pepper, thinly sliced 1 med onion, chopped 4-5 cloves garlic, minced until glossy and softened Add in 1 1/2 c uncooked Farro, rinsed 2 1/2 c chicken broth 1/2 t cumin powder 1/4 c sun dried tomatoes in olive oi...

Tuna bean salad

Mix together: 1/3 c olive oil 3 T red wine vinegar Freshly & finely chopped chives or 1/4 t onion powder  Salt and pepper to taste Set aside. Combine:  6 oz tuna packed without liquid (if packed in oil, add less oil; if packed in water, drain) 1 can/15 oz cannellini beans, drained & rinsed 1 T capers 3/4 c cherry tomatoes, halved 1/2 T freshly chopped basil Pour dressing over and gently combine. Serve alone,  as a salad on a bead of spinach or open face sandwich on a crusty bread -both need an extra drizzle of olive oil.