Skip to main content

10-01 Pumpkin Apple Stew

This is SO delicious and definitely gives you the "fall" experience.
The sweetness of the apple cider and apples play off the pumpkin and all that's missing is a hayride or carving pumpkins afterward. Its perfect for a cold, miserable day or even if you are just chilled.
It takes a bit of time but is so worth it! Its very flexible -try substituting different veggies or cooking it in the crock pot.
This recipe serves about 5 but is easily doubled for more company.

Put your dutch oven or heaviest pot on the stove top to heat up.
In a baggie or in a mixing bowl, mix together:
1 1/2 T flour
1 t fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
Then add in
1 lb boneless pork, cubed about 1" or smaller
Stir or shake to coat pork well.
Drizzle your hot pan with a bit of
olive oil
Add the coated pork and
1 onion, sliced thinly
Sauté the onions and pork until the onions soften and the pork is brown on all sides, stirring gently occasionally to get all sides.
When thoroughly browned, pour in
1 1/2 c chicken broth
3/4 c apple cider or juice (unfiltered is best... if using juice, add cider spices - see 10-18)
1/8 c apple cider vinegar and add:
1/2 c carrots, peeled and sliced or baby carrots
3 c sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 1 pound) or potatoes, or baby red potatoes...
Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer and cover.
As the stew is simmering, prepare and add:
1/2-3/4 c apples, sliced (use a strong apple like a Granny Smith) no need to peel
7-8 oz (about 1/2 can) pureéd pumpkin or use fresh pumpkin, peeled & cubed or butternut squash, peeled & cubed...
After you have added in the apples and pumpkin, keep covered and simmering for about 20 minutes. The pork will be very tender and the veggies soft and oh so delicious!
This is my variation of a recipe from Relish magazine

Comments

  1. We had a pork roast last night that was a little dry. I had most of it leftover. Now I know what I'll do with it! thanks!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're welcome! I think you will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mexetti Squash

So I wanted to use the spaghetti squash but I wasn't in the mood for the usual Italian meatball pseudo-spaghetti. I also wanted something just as quick and easy so I browsed around on the internet and got an idea to use Mexican flavors. Here is what I served everyone tonight so we can remember it. There are no real measurements since every squash is a different size. Cut a spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. In a microwaveable dish, place one half skin side down so it can be filled with: cooked, cut up chicken diced Hatch chiles zucchini, chopped finely red bell pepper, chopped finely onion, chopped finely OR onion powder sprinkled on top Sprinkle it all with a little salt, pepper and cumin and shredded Jack, Manchego or other cheese Pour some enchilada sauce over it all. Add some heat with salsa, chile powder or whatever you like or not. Cover and cook- I microwaved a large half for about 15 minutes The smaller half only took 10 minutes. I served i...

Rainy day Farro with chicken

     This tasted really good on this cold and rainy March evening.  I still had Farro (an Italian wheat cousin with more nutrition than brown rice) in the cupboard so I searched around for farro recipes and came up with this version. Your dad wants to eat it again (and me, too) so here it goes down on record.  I didn't really measure the ingredients so I will do my best to come up with good estimates. Sprinkle generously 1/2 - 1lb cooked chicken in large chunks (off a rotisserie chicken works well) with oregano, salt and pepper and drizzle about 1 Tb apple cider vinegar & ! Tb canola oil  over it & set aside. I think warming it a bit will help the flavor soak in the chicken but it isn't necessary. Sauté 1 large colored bell pepper, thinly sliced 1 med onion, chopped 4-5 cloves garlic, minced until glossy and softened Add in 1 1/2 c uncooked Farro, rinsed 2 1/2 c chicken broth 1/2 t cumin powder 1/4 c sun dried tomatoes in olive oi...

Tuna bean salad

Mix together: 1/3 c olive oil 3 T red wine vinegar Freshly & finely chopped chives or 1/4 t onion powder  Salt and pepper to taste Set aside. Combine:  6 oz tuna packed without liquid (if packed in oil, add less oil; if packed in water, drain) 1 can/15 oz cannellini beans, drained & rinsed 1 T capers 3/4 c cherry tomatoes, halved 1/2 T freshly chopped basil Pour dressing over and gently combine. Serve alone,  as a salad on a bead of spinach or open face sandwich on a crusty bread -both need an extra drizzle of olive oil.