Skip to main content

Squash (Butternut / Pumpkin) Soup

 One of my fall favorites is simple butternut soup. I often just keep a box of it in stock in the pantry. After looking for a good homemade version - This was so delicious! It was a post by Cecilia Tolone on Insta.

If you are pressed for time, you can easily substitute with canned squash. Look for the freshest squash when you have the time, it really makes a difference in the flavors. 

The amounts in the recipe are general recommendations since the size of squash varies. I used a medium butternut, about 25 cm/10 inches. I would use a bit smaller pumpkin.

Peel, seed, slice and cube your squash. 

Drizzle a shallow baking dish with olive oil and put the squash in. Salt the squash lightly and place 4-5 dabs/tsps of butter on top. Cover with lid or foil. 

Bake at 390º F / 200º C for about 30 minutes - so you can easily pierce it with a fork.

While the squash bakes, chop a 1/2 a medium onion and 3 medium carrots into matching sizes - doesn't matter as they will be cooked and puréed.

Drizzle the pan with olive oil and 1 T of butter. Sauté the onions and carrots until they are tender to a fork. Add about 4 cups of chicken stock (enough that it will cover all the ingredients when you add the squash, add more or less as needed). Bring to a simmer then cover and turn off heat to wait for the squash. 

When squash is tender, add to pot and turn on heat again to simmer. Add about 1 T sage, 1 t rosemary and 1 t cinnamon and a generous amount of pepper. Purée with hand blender and add a dash or two of heavy cream. Enjoy!

If you prefer the soup to thicken, simply simmer a little longer. 

We ate it with rye and sourdough breads. It was very filling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mexetti Squash

So I wanted to use the spaghetti squash but I wasn't in the mood for the usual Italian meatball pseudo-spaghetti. I also wanted something just as quick and easy so I browsed around on the internet and got an idea to use Mexican flavors. Here is what I served everyone tonight so we can remember it. There are no real measurements since every squash is a different size. Cut a spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. In a microwaveable dish, place one half skin side down so it can be filled with: cooked, cut up chicken diced Hatch chiles zucchini, chopped finely red bell pepper, chopped finely onion, chopped finely OR onion powder sprinkled on top Sprinkle it all with a little salt, pepper and cumin and shredded Jack, Manchego or other cheese Pour some enchilada sauce over it all. Add some heat with salsa, chile powder or whatever you like or not. Cover and cook- I microwaved a large half for about 15 minutes The smaller half only took 10 minutes. I served i...

Rainy day Farro with chicken

     This tasted really good on this cold and rainy March evening.  I still had Farro (an Italian wheat cousin with more nutrition than brown rice) in the cupboard so I searched around for farro recipes and came up with this version. Your dad wants to eat it again (and me, too) so here it goes down on record.  I didn't really measure the ingredients so I will do my best to come up with good estimates. Sprinkle generously 1/2 - 1lb cooked chicken in large chunks (off a rotisserie chicken works well) with oregano, salt and pepper and drizzle about 1 Tb apple cider vinegar & ! Tb canola oil  over it & set aside. I think warming it a bit will help the flavor soak in the chicken but it isn't necessary. Sauté 1 large colored bell pepper, thinly sliced 1 med onion, chopped 4-5 cloves garlic, minced until glossy and softened Add in 1 1/2 c uncooked Farro, rinsed 2 1/2 c chicken broth 1/2 t cumin powder 1/4 c sun dried tomatoes in olive oi...

Tuna bean salad

Mix together: 1/3 c olive oil 3 T red wine vinegar Freshly & finely chopped chives or 1/4 t onion powder  Salt and pepper to taste Set aside. Combine:  6 oz tuna packed without liquid (if packed in oil, add less oil; if packed in water, drain) 1 can/15 oz cannellini beans, drained & rinsed 1 T capers 3/4 c cherry tomatoes, halved 1/2 T freshly chopped basil Pour dressing over and gently combine. Serve alone,  as a salad on a bead of spinach or open face sandwich on a crusty bread -both need an extra drizzle of olive oil.